Kitchen Fundamentals Class Number 5

Hey y'all!! I realized tonight as we were leaving our last class, that I had not had time to blog about the class from last week! Boo on me! This is another one of our classes that we've been taking at  Charleston Cooks in Greenville, SC. Our "lesson" last week was Fish and Shellfish. I am a huge fan of shrimp and crab so I was really looking forward to this class. Dan was the complete opposite as he really isn't a fan at all and was worried about eating stuff he didn't think he'd like. In this class, we learned the following: Crab and Corn Fritters, Fried Oysters with Remoulade Sauce, Grilled Honey Glazed Salmon Over Broccoli Smashed Potatoes, Pecan Encrusted Fish over Grits and Greens, and Pickled Shrimp Salad.
 
This was yet another super fun class. Here's how everything turned out:
 
 
 
Dan and I had fun making the Crab and Corn Fritters. I really wanted to make something that I had never made before (but still something that I would eat lol). These also turned out to be my favorite dish of the night (and not just because we made it). Dan enjoyed the salmon and fish but wasn't too much of a fan of the sides with them as one had broccoli and the other had greens. I can really see us making the salmon at home as we try to eat fish often as it's good for you!
 
We were both open minded and told ourselves that we would at least try everything that was cooked. So, as I stared down at the oysters, hoping they didn't taste like what they looked like before they were cooked (EW?!), I took a deep breath and cut into it. At first, all I really tasted was the breading ... that didn't last long ... and then the oyster made an appearance ... and I swallowed it ... and kept it down! Woo hoo! All I'll say is, it's official that I'm not a fan of oysters at all (but at least I tried them!). I will say the sauce that was on them was really tasty and had a nice zing that accompanied the oyster (would be great for clam strips or even shrimp). The pickled shrimp was also interesting. It really had a good flavor but the shrimp were slightly undercooked so I didn't eat them (did you know I was slightly neurotic with undercooked food - just ask Dan!)
 
Mark (our super awesome instructor), had a surprise for us for dessert - Creme Brulee! A few of us were commenting one of the prior weeks that we didn't have a dessert planned tonight (and that made us sad LOL). So, he made these divine desserts for us ... and OMG, they were sooooooo yummy! Seriously, I'm still drooling thinking about eating more of this stuff ... doesn't really work into the new lifestyle very well though!
 
 
Well, that's it for this time around. Stay tuned for the next class which is Baking Basics (which I'll blog about tomorrow night). I'm already looking forward to having desserts for dinner :).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fun with Artist Trading Cards!

Paper Makeup Stamps December Fan Blog Hop

Scrapbooking Project